In 1920, a cast bronze plaque was unveiled at Wycliffe Congregational Church to commemorate 22 of the congregation who lost their lives in the First World War.
The names of the dead are presented in two columns and the plaque is decorated with a wreath at the top and floral decoration at the bottom.
In 1964, due to dwindling congregation numbers, Wycliffe Congregational Church merged with Gants Hill Congregational Church in Woodford Avenue and was known thereafter as Gants Hill United Reformed Church. The Wycliffe building was converted into a theatre after its closure (and is now offices), and the Wycliffe memorial was moved to Gants Hill United Reformed Church. The plaque remains in storage at the church.
Based on research by Patrick O’Mara
Ilford Recorder, 10th December 1920
Gants Hill United Reformed Church: The Odyssey of Suburban Church, Mrs Jean Potter (Ed), 1977