In addition to an oak panelled memorial that was hung on the wall of the lobby, the main Ilford Congregational Church War Memorial stood in the Chancel of Ilford Congregational Church (later renamed The Vine Congregational Church and now known as Vine United Reformed Church). Made of white marble and three meters in height, it commemorated the names of seventy two congregants and members of the ‘Ilford Men’s Meeting’ group, engraved on three separate panels. The names appear to match those that were inscribed on the oak memorial.
The church closed in 1959 and was subsequently demolished but services continued to be held in the adjoining hall and the marble memorial was deliberately smashed to pieces for hard core to form the foundations of the vestry.
A copy of a photo of the memorial in situ is reproduced here but the inscription is difficult to decipher.
Based on research by Patrick O’Mara