A memorial to Herbert Edwin Hawkins is now in the collections at Redbridge Museum. The rectangular metal plaque refers to a ‘glass screen’ in the chapel of St. Clement’s Church in Park Avenue.
In 1977, the church moved to Cecil Hall in Graville Road, less than a hundred metres away, and the old St. Clement’s Church was demolished to make way for an apartment block. St. Clement’s Church (Cecil Hall) closed in 2002 and the Herbert Edwin Hawkins memorial was donated to Redbridge Museum.
It is not known what happened to the glass screen referred to on the plaque.
Information also kindly provided by Foster Summerson, former Chairman of the Essex Branch of the Western Front Association
The Great War Memory and Ritual: Commemoration in the City and East London, 1916-1939 by Mark Connelly, 2002