William Tempest Shaw was born in 1882. He was one of nine children born to parents William, a commercial clerk, and Emily Shaw, who were living in West Ham in 1901. By 1911, most of the family were living at 36 Wanstead Park Avenue while William and his brother, Charles, were living at 125 Essex Road in Manor Park. At this time, William was working as an elementary school teacher.
William enlisted as a Private with the Essex Regiment but was transferred to the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge’s Own) and sent to the Western Front. He was killed on 22nd April 1917.
William’s name appears on the Thiepval Memorial.
Research by Redbridge Museum
Commonwealth War Graves Commission