Stanley was born in Sunderland on 13th August 1894 and he attended Ilford County High School between 11th September 1906 and 27th July 1910. Previously, he had been a pupil at Highlands Elementary School, also in Ilford. Whilst at Ilford County High School, he achieved passes in the Oxford Junior and Senior Local examinations. This enabled him to pursue further education at Kings College, London where he studied for entry into the Civil Service. The 1911 census records his occupation as Bank Clerk; he was 16 and still single at this point.
Stanley’s father, John, was the General Manager of an Iron Foundry in 1911. He lived with his parents in De Vere Gardens, Ilford. He was their only son.
When he died, aged 22, on 10th March 1917, Stanley was a newly commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in the 4th Battalion of the Essex Regiment. His body was buried at Hem Farm Military Cemetery (Ref. 11. L. 8) and the inscription on his gravestone reads, ‘Only son of Mr and Mrs J. W. Wiseman of Ilford- Faithful unto death.’
Research by Andrew Emeny, History Teacher at ICHS
ICHS school records and magazines
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Ilford County High School started life as the Park Higher Grade School in 1901 in Balfour Road, Ilford. It was renamed Ilford County High School (or initially County High School, Ilford) in the years after the school’s management was transferred from Ilford School Board to Essex Education Committee in 1904.