The son of an Accountants Clerk, Leonard lived in Green Lane, Seven Kings with his father, mother and brother. He was born on the 26th of June 1891 and joined the school on the 11th of September 1905 at the age of 14. He had previously been to another school called the Carpenter’s Institute.
He was drafted into the 9th Battalion of the Queens Victoria’s Rifles, London Regiment and by his death on the 4th of July 1918 he had been promoted to Lance Corporal and had received the Victory medal and the British War medal.
He died of wounds and was buried at the Montigny Communal Cemetery by the Somme and this was where his regiment had been fighting prior to his death.
Research by former ICHS student, Deep Chauhan
ICHS school records and magazines
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Ilford County High School started life as the Park Higher Grade School in 1901 in Balfour Road, Ilford. It was renamed Ilford County High School (or initially County High School, Ilford) in the years after the school’s management was transferred from Ilford School Board to Essex Education Committee in 1904.