Charles was born in Walthamstow on 8th July 1887 and he joined Ilford County High School from Cleveland Road Elementary School, Ilford on 1st July 1901. He was one of the school’s first cohort of students. He left just over one year later to start a career in business. He was the son of Jersey-born travelling salesman, George and his wife, Sarah. They lived in The Drive, Ilford. His father was an agent for a stationary company. His parents had four children, of whom three were still alive in 1911. Charles was the only son.
Charles served as a sergeant with the 18th battalion of the King’s Royal Rifle Corp. His service number was C/6081. He died on 6th February 1917, aged 29, and was buried at Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery (V.G.16).
Research by Andrew Emeny, History Teacher at ICHS
ICHS school records and magazines
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Ilford County High School started life as the Park Higher Grade School in 1901 in Balfour Road, Ilford. It was renamed Ilford County High School (or initially County High School, Ilford) in the years after the school’s management was transferred from Ilford School Board to Essex Education Committee in 1904.