Born in 1895 at Hendon, son of Henry Charles (Member of H.M. Civil Service) and Sarah Amelia Ann Card. His mother died in the same quarter that Arthur was born. There may be a connection. His father was re-married in September 1904 to Evelyn Maud Tomkins. During the 1890s his father lived at 72 Broadhurst Gardens, Hampstead before changing to 6 Park Avenue, Willesden Green by 1898 - the address from which he was re-married in 1904. Later his father and step mother moved to Eton Place 17 London Road, Tonbridge Kent, where Henry died in 1924.
Apart from his birth registration, there is no obvious record pertaining to Arthur. After his death in 1916, Arthurs Probate gave the address 27 Goldhurst Terrace, Hampstead, and he was single - probate being given to his father and step mother at Tonbridge.
He served with 12 Middlesex Regiment. It was announced on 23th October 1916 that Arthur had been awarded the Military Cross. “He led the left half of the line, which cleared a wood of the enemy, capturing a strong point and a machine gun. He retained control over his men under most difficult circumstances. He has also carried out most useful reconnaissances”. From the locations of his Regiment, the wood referred to in the citation is likely to have been Trones Wood on 14th July 1916. Unfortunately by the time the award was made, he had already been Killed in Action.
At 12.35 on 26th September 1916, 12 Middlesex and 11 Royal Fusiliers advanced on Thiepval Ridge, the Village, and subsequently the heavily defended Thiepval Chateau under cover of a creeping barrage. The German forward trenches were taken relatively easily, but when proceeding over open ground towards the Chateau, the barrage moved too quickly and so allowed the Germans to engage their attackers. The Chateau was also captured, but Arthur Card was among those Killed in Action that day.
Arthur Card is something of a mystery. It is unclear whether he had any personal connection to South Woodford, and how his name came to appear on the choir stalls memorial panel.
Research by Adrian Lee, Local Historian