Arthur Harold Quellhorst was born in 1898 at Leyton. He was the only son and youngest child of George (a surveyor) and Jessie Quellhorst. In 1901, Arthur and his parents and two elder sisters lived at 313 Monega Road Leyton. By 1911 his father had died and Arthur lived with his mother and one sister at 21 Hermon Hill which was actually in the Borough of Wanstead. Arthur was also a church scout troop leader at St Mary’s Church South Woodford.
He enlisted at Snaresbrook and joined the Expeditionary Force in France on the 18th of March 1915. Arthur was killed in action during the first day of the Battle of Loos in Picardy on 25th September 1915.
On 23rd January 1916, Donald MacLean MP unveiled a memorial window during the 11am service at St Mary’s Church (where Arthur Quellhorst is commemorated), and a collection was taken to raise funds to purchase x-ray equipment for Highams Military Hospital.
Research by Adrian Lee, Local Historian
Commonwealth War Graves Commission