Albert was born on 28th February 1898 and attended Ilford County High School between September 1910 and July 1914. Previously, he had studied at Christchurch Road Elementary School.
His father, Ernest, was a cartage contractor and his family lived in Ley Street, Ilford. His mother’s name was Caroline. Albert’s older brother, George, had also studied at Ilford County High School between 1907 and 1911.
Having passed his Cambridge Senior School Examination in 1914, Albert went on to further studies at a commercial school.
Albert appears on the school’s Roll of Honour in the Autumn 1917 edition of the school magazine, Chronicles. His regiment is recorded as the Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) and his service number was 90621. He was in the 166th Company. He died on 21st September 1917, aged 19. Albert’s body was buried in the New Irish Farm Cemetery (Reference XVIII. A. II).
Research by Andrew Emeny, History Teacher at ICHS
ICHS school records and magazines
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Ilford County High School started life as the Park Higher Grade School in 1901 in Balfour Road, Ilford. It was renamed Ilford County High School (or initially County High School, Ilford) in the years after the school’s management was transferred from Ilford School Board to Essex Education Committee in 1904.