William Joseph Whyte’s memory is commemorated with a stained glass window which was originally installed at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in Goodmayes Road.
In 1969, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (on Goodmayes Road) merged with Goodmayes Congregational Church (Broomhill Road). It was decided that the new church would be based on Broomhill Road and renamed St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church. The premises of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church were sold and the stained glass window was subsequently moved to the church on Broomhill Road, together with two other stained glass windows, also commemorating members of the Whyte family.
The windows were fitted into an existing glass screen in 1974, which was positioned between the lounge and the vestry.
As a result of declining congregation numbers, St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church closed its doors on the 8th October 2006 and the building was demolished the following year. The windows were returned to the Whyte family for safe keeping.
The History of St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church, Goodmayes 1902-1998 by Trevor Cottrell (at Redbridge Information and Heritage)
Information kindly provided by:
Reverend David Skipp of the Thames North Synod Office
Trevor Cottrell, former member and Elder of St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church