The St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church memorial commemorates 40 men who served in the war and takes the form of a brass plaque on wooden mount. The names of those who served are inscribed in black text and arranged in four columns; the names of those who died are presented in a larger font at the bottom.
In 1969, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (on Goodmayes Road) merged with Goodmayes Congregational Church (Broomhill Road). It was decided that the new church would be based on Broomhill Road and renamed St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church. The premises of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church were sold and the St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Roll of Honour was subsequently moved to the church in Broomhill Road.
As a result of declining congregation numbers, the St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church closed its doors on 8th October 2006 and the building was demolished the following year. This memorial is currently under the care of the Thames North Synod of the United Reformed Church, within their Trust Archive.
The History of St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church, Goodmayes 1902-1998 by Trevor Cottrell (at Redbridge Information and Heritage)
Information kindly provided by:
Reverend David Skipp of the Thames North Synod Office
Trevor Cottrell, former member and Elder of St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church