The lives of sixteen former Post Office staff were commemorated on a plaque which was mounted within the Post Office on Clements Road, Ilford. During renovation work in the 1950s, the memorial went missing but was later found and rededicated on 16th July 1992. Unfortunately, the plaque is thought to have gone missing again in the late 1990s.
A photograph of the plaque, as reproduced here, was featured on the front cover of a programme produced for the unveiling ceremony in 1922.
Based on research by Patrick O’Mara