A pair of stained glass windows and brass plaque at Ilford Lane Methodist Church commemorates twelve men who died in the First World War. Entitled ‘The Great Reward’, the windows depict Christ offering the Crown of Life to a kneeling warrior.
On 9th September 1940, the church was bombed and services were transferred to the Church Hall. The windows, including the First World War memorial windows, were recovered from the war-damaged church a decade later and re-dedicated in the Church Hall on Saturday 3rd June, 1950. The restoration and re-location of the windows was carried out by William Morris and Company at a cost of two hundred pounds.
When funds were generated to build a new church at Ilford Lane (with the proceeds of the sale of Ilford High Road Methodist Church), the windows were moved to the current church building which was opened on Saturday 25th March 1961.
Service of re-dedication of the memorial windows, dated Saturday 3rd June 1950
Methodism in Ilford Lane 1867 to 1967, Centenary Souvenir Issued in Conjunction with the Celebration of 100 Years of Christian Witness, 14th October 1967
Based on information kindly supplied by church member Martin Fairhurst, 2015.