This steel sculpture was unveiled by the Mayor of Redbridge on 11 November 2013 and commemorates those who served at Fairlop and Hainault airfields during the First and Second World Wars. It is also used as a memorial to those who lost their lives while stationed at Fairlop. It was commissioned by Vision Redbridge Culture & Leisure and instigated by the Fairlop Heritage Group.
During the First World War, the Royal Flying Corps (which became the RAF in March 1918) were stationed at nearby Hainault Farm from 1915 to 1919. The Royal Naval Air Service (subsumed into the RAF in March 1918) was at Fairlop Farm (opposite the current Fairlop Waters) from 1914 to 1919.
During the Second World War, RAF Fairlop was located on the current site of Fairlop Waters. The base was operational between August 1941 and the end of the war.
Photograph Diamond Geezer blog
For further information see In the Air
For more information visit the Fairlop Plain Times website