The Goodmayes Congregational Church memorial commemorates seven men who died in the First World War. The memorial takes the form of a brass plaque, framed in wood, with black inscription. An epitaph is presented at the top, with the names of those who died listed beneath in a single column.
In 1969, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (on Goodmayes Road) merged with Goodmayes Congregational Church (Broomhill Road). It was decided that the new church would be based on Broomhill Road and renamed St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church.
As a result of declining congregation numbers, St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church closed its doors on the 8th October 2006 and the building was demolished the following year. This memorial is currently under the care of the Thames North Synod of the United Reformed Church, within their Trust Archive.
The History of St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church, Goodmayes 1902-1998 by Trevor Cottrell (at Redbridge Information and Heritage)
Information kindly provided by:
Reverend David Skipp of the Thames North Synod Office
Trevor Cottrell, former member and Elder of St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church